Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year's Resolutions: Do They Work?

This time every year, people draw up lists of New Year's resolutions: lose weight, exercise, quit smoking. New Year offers us a sort of "restart" button. Sure, we're not cleaning out our mental or physical hard drives entirely. None of us change ourselves completely. But we can use this time to "reboot" — take a pause and, hopefully, perform somewhat better going forward.
People have been making New Year's resolutions for hundreds of years, I'm sure. It's just logical to want to make changes at such a momentous point in the calendar year. But I believe that it's important to believe that one can start over at any time...your don't just have to wait to January 1st or May 1st or any other particular time.
If you do choose to make resolutions, it's important to be realistic: I'll lose 5 lbs each month, not 10 or 15 or 20! Otherwise you set yourself up for failure. "Easy does it" is a great mantra. I'm always happy to help people set do-able goals to improve their lives. Let me know if I can help you!

No comments: